In march 14 (monday) at 19:30 the english book club of the library we’ll debate about this stories of Katherine Mansfield:
THE GARDEN PARTY
- What kind of relationship does Laura have with her family?
- How does the writer show us Laura´s love of simple and natural things?
- What do the hats symbolise in this story?
- Should the Sheridans have called off The Garden Party, as Laura suggested? Why? Why not?
- If Laura had finished her question at the end of the story, what would she have said?
- What effect does the description of the ship at the beginning of the story have on the reader?
- How do we know that Mr Hammond is anxious and excited about his wife´s return?
- What do we know about Janey Hammond?
- What significance has the title of the story?
- How would this story have been different if it had been told mainly from Mrs Hammond´s point of view?
HER FIRST BALL
- What are Leila´s feelings before the Ball?
- What is the role of the fat man in this story?
- What do you think Leila´s thoughts would be at the end of the Ball?
- What does Leila´s reaction tell you about her?
- What feelings would a modern day teenage girl and Leila have in common on going to their first dance?